We had the opportunity to spend some time down at the Amazon HQ (sadly we didn’t run into Mr. Bezos). Let me just say….it was a blast. Why? Amazon is not only the largest Internet Retailer in the world but they have some pretty cool people that work there, and we were lucky enough to be hosted by a few of those people.
Our High Schoolers had the liberty to get up close and personal with questions about the culture of the company, questions about recruitment, internships and life before and during Amazon.
It was pretty cool for them to get insight into what a day in the life of being an adult and full-time worker consisted of. Though everyone’s journey differed there was one commonality….They all loved their job and what they do. It can’t get no better than that.
Here a few nuggets from the session that stood out:
- “The more time and opportunity you put into your strategy the better prepared you will be”
- “Speak about yourself confidently”
- “Presence over Perfection”
- “You don’t make it in the door if you’re not already capable of performing”
- “Create a network of friends who are more DIVERSE”
- “Make a mark and prove people wrong”
- Dog Parks..in the building
- Telephone booths…for…..you know…those private business calls! It is a pretty popular place.
- Post Alley…other wise knows as “Post Its” wall alley…pretty cool way of sharing positive messages with fellow Amazonians.
- And much much more!
Overall the experience was exactly what I hoped for and eager to go back for more. You know, up the ante a bit.